Friday, October 10, 2008

The Food Seeker's Guide To Bengalooru

When i came to bangalore 18 months back, i thought NO ONE knew how to cook in this place! Forget chaat and other mumbai delights, even the south indian dosas and idlis suck in most places here. Pretty much ANYTHING from pasta to pav bhaji, from sev puri to pizzas, comes topped with COCONUT!!!
I had resigned myself to a couple of years of barely edible organic substances that the canteen charges me money to eat, until I discovered what makes every mumbaikar orgasmic.. STREET FOOD!! Yes right here in Namma Bengalooru!! so I decided to compile my own top 5 shady joints with awesome food list for all the newbies in Bengalooru.. so here goes:
5. The small chaat counter below 20 feet high, just outside three quarter chinese on church street - This is the place where my year long quest for a decent plate of paani poori ended 6 months ago. The taste of a thin, crisp poori filled with warm mashed potaoto and bean sprouts, and a cool mint paani laced with a mean khajoor chutney... Ahhh! Heaven!!
4. Tibb's Frankie - Brigade road, commercial steet. Even thouh they call it Tibb's frankie of mumbai, and charge as if they import it every day from there, this humble dish i first tasted at churchgate station still remains a Must Eat for me every time im in the vicinity.
3. Sonakshi Sharma's Family Restaurant - Koramangala(whats with the name??) - Amazing jalebis in addition to some good north indian food. A friend introduced me to the place, and though i dont go there much, still do think about the golden brown, slender, rounded, sweet, sugar soaked delights every time I want Dessert!
2. Ganga Saagar - Sajjan Rao circle. - this simple, tiny yet neat place is one of my fave joints for dinner.. for their supreme paranthas, with melting butter, delicately spiced raita and tangy nimboo achaar! SLURRP!!!
1. And the numero uno - Davangere Benne Dosa - Bull temple road. Yum Butter soaked dosa which melts in your mouth the second you put it in, served with green coconut chutney, mildly spiced mashed potatoes and piping hot coffee.. need i say more?
I know gluttony is a sin, but with places like these...

1 comment:

Veena said...

Gosh! What mouth watering description! It is cruel to do this to the world.